Who We Are
School Social Work Association of Idaho strives to promote the well-being of all students and families in the Idaho school systems by:
- promoting school social work in Idaho
- keeping SSWAI members informed of current issues affecting school social work
- advocating for empirically based standards for school social work practice
- promoting the extension of school social work services to all children in the schools
Who Are School Social Workers
and Why Do We Need Them?
School Social Workers are trained and licensed mental health professionals with a masters degree in social work. We are the link between the home, school and community and work to promote students' academic success, family stability and overall well-being.
What Do School Social Workers Do?
School Social Workers provide direct and indirect services to students, families, school personnel and the community including, but not limited to:
- Counseling (individual or group)
- Crisis intervention and safety planning
- Assisting students with conflict resolution, anger management, and social skill development
- Identifying and helping eliminate barriers to a student's academic success
- Assisting families with accessing and utilizing appropriate school and community resources
- Provide consultation to school staff
- Assessing students mental health concerns
- Developing behavior intervention strategies and behavior management with school staff and parents
- Advocating for appropriate resources and services to meet the needs of students and families in the home, school and community settings
- Contributing to schools multidisciplinary team or problem solving team
- Participating in the evaluation, planning and implementation of special education services